1. Total number of books I've owned: If I had to make a guess, I'd say probably around 700. Very likely it is more. I got rid of a good amount of books before I moved last year, so the number could have been much, much higher.
2. Last book I bought: for myself: Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell. I also bought a couple of books for a baby shower gift (Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Bark, George! in case you were curious).
3. Last book I read: By These Ten Bones by Claire Dunkle
4. 5 books that mean a lot to me (not in any particular order):
a. A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeline L'Engle: this is the one that made me long to be a writer.
b. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery: growing up, I was Anne. Or very Anne-ish, anyway.
c. The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper: everytime I read it, I'm enthralled. Another one of those that makes me hope that someday I will tell a story that well.
d. Neil Gaiman's Sandman: glorious, gorgeous storytelling. Even though I know how it all ends, it still makes me weep.
e. Bellwether by Connie Willis: one of my 'comfort' books.
5. Tag 5 people and have them fill this out in their LJs:
I don't think I got anyone who was already tagged. If so, let me know!